Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Lord, How Those Minutes Do Run!

It was a crazy weekend here in the blessed Land of Lincoln.

Saturday, I was hitting the stores at 8 am to finish/start my Christmas shopping. I’m nearly done, with the exception of Mr. Hep. But I know what he’s getting, so that’s a HUGE plus!! Hey, even got them all wrapped!!

I’m very proud of one gift, which is for my Once-And-Future-Husband, which will go unmentioned, since he is one of the two people who read this blog. Let’s just say that it’s imminent that my friends should be checking their mailboxes for a certain kind of invitation this summer.

After my “shopping marathon”, I had to run home to go to my sister’s house for Jack’s 6th birthday party. The funniest thing happened…I bought him a GREAT book called “Olivia”, because that’s his best friend’s name, and being the cool “uncle” that I am, I was sure that he’d love it. His face turned absolutely crimson, and he yelled “That’s for girls!”. Oops.

Following the party, I took him to see “Theater Armageddon 2005”, and he simply adored it! Although each time this guy, http://drastrozoom.blogspot.com would appear onstage, he would thumb his nose at him. Nothing like interactive Children’s Theatre.

Sunday…Sunday…Sunday. Let me first say that I love being a part of “Whorehouse”. Although, being referred to as “a lead” in the Springfield Theatre community is taking me a little bit of getting used to. Sitting with the “OG’s” kind of blows my mind. I feel completely humbled, and I am trying to be a good person to work with, to perhaps set an example to these high schoolers who have my #1 pet peeve: “Diva attitudes without the talent to back it up”.

The more these certain people annoy me, the more the rusty wheels in my pea brain start slowly churning. Was I this way when I was doing theatre as a kid? The more I think about it, the more I’m led to thinking that the answer is deniably, “yes”. So to all of those who I ever offended, or got on their nerves: I humbly apologize.

On a good note, I got a great compliment from our head honcho at rehearsal last night. He told me “I love your interactions with Miss Mona; It is such a relief not to have to tell someone when to breathe, snort, or laugh. Thank you.” This is from a guy who hardly ever compliments anyone. Besos, Bill!

Lord, enough of soul-searching. I swear, my New Year’s resolution is going to be to *stop* soul-searching. Oh, who the hell am I kidding!

Anyway, another huge thing that has taken some getting used to is this 7-days-a-week rehearsal schedule. Don’t get me wrong “I heart theatre” (pardon me while I throw up a little in my mouth), as much as the next thespian, but goodness! I work until 6 pm, then I go directly to the theater at 6:30. Wow. I’m t-i-red.

Another thing that is taken some getting used to is this proscenium theater vs. blackbox theater. I have been working for the last 8 years in what is known as “black box theater”. 80 seats. That means you’re probably a foot away from the audience. That means no microphones. That means me not having to sing as loud as I possibly can. This means…don’t worry about projection too much. That means…I’m having a hard time hearing the piano. Which equals to “crash and burn”. Gotta love live theater!

On a sad note, my dear friend from grade school, Mary Ellen “Mellie” Sukraw, passed away this past Friday after a long battle with Leukemia. As sad as I was when I first heard the news, I have to think that she is in a better place, free from the endless chemotherapy, radiation, and bone marrow transplants. Ciao, Mellie.

5 comments:

Ms. Hep said...

LOL - thanks...it was a mess.

Michael Brown said...

So many things to comment on!

#1) I'm glad you're tickled with the gift for me (hiya folks... I'm the "Once-And-Future-Husband" she's referring to). I'm sure over on DAO, sometime after the New Year, I'll have a blog posting of how truly difficult it's been to find your Christmas present. I hope this isn't the trend of how hard it is to buy for you.

#2) Obviously, however proud you might be for my gift, I'm thinking you still need pointers for buying things for a 6 year old Batman fanatic. Luckily, in the future, I'm more than hip to all things Batman. ;)

#3) I've got a mixture of regret and relief that I missed "Theater Armageddon 2005".

#4) I'm sure you'll be beyond great in "Whorehouse".

#5) I'll help you figure out some New Year's Resolutions.

#6) As someone who has already had a few classmates pass on, it's always difficult to wrap your mind around the fact that you're in the world and they are not. Again, my sympathies.

Anonymous said...

Man Kim what's up with you and this Mike Brown dude? You can do sooo much better. Why have a LDR when you don't have to? If you ask me you are still waivering about the guy! Are you sure you want to spend the REST of your life with HIM? You are awesome on stage, and I think if you want to stay in this area, get a LOCAL relationship. I would ask you out, but I respect the fact that you are ahem, "engaged".

~An admirer who would take very good care of you..if you only knew..

Ms. Hep said...

Thanks, guys!! Wow, what comments!!

Anon, do I know you? What kind of joke is that???????!???????????!!!!!!!!!

C'mon...be a real...man...or woman...and let me know who you are!! Email me or something!

Michael Brown said...

[Man Kim what's up with you and this Mike Brown dude?]

She's in love with me... and frankly, who could blame her? :)

[You can do sooo much better.]

Dude, you don't even know me (I'm guessing).

[Why have a LDR when you don't have to?]

That's the beauty of it. It's not going to be a LDR in a few weeks.

[If you ask me you are still waivering about the guy!]

Hmmm... what makes you say that?

[Are you sure you want to spend the REST of your life with HIM?]

I'll let Kim answer that one.

[You are awesome on stage, and I think if you want to stay in this area, get a LOCAL relationship.]

Well, I'm moving up there, bub. She'll be in a LOCAL relationship soon enough.

And I agree, Kim is awesome on stage.

[I would ask you out, but I respect the fact that you are ahem, "engaged".]

What's with the ahem, "quotes"? She is engaged. If you "respected" that fact, you:

a) would've kept all this to yourself.
b) would've at the very least given your name.

[~An admirer who would take very good care of you..if you only knew.. ]

Well, while I commend you on your taste in women (because Kim is wonderful, there's no doubt) she is and she will be taken very good care of now, thanks.

I certainly invite you to e-mail me at smiling_mage@yahoo.com if you'd like to discuss this further.